Our pricing structure explained
Our funeral prices can broadly be split into two categories – ‘Our fees’ and ‘Additional fees’. ‘Our fees’ (sometimes called professional fees or Funeral Director fees) include the fees for all in-house services and everything else that we think is necessary for a basic funeral, whether that be a cremation or a burial. The Additional fees (often called disbursements) are for third party services and personalisation options. These will vary depending on the type of funeral chosen, the location and any specific options that are selected by the family.
We’ve broken down the fees as clearly as we can but you can also skip straight to the bottom of the page for some example funeral prices.
These are sometimes called professional fees and they include the following services:
- Support of the Harold White team (over the phone and in person)
- Arranging, co-ordinating and conducting the funeral
- Funeral Director and 4 pallbearers to carry the coffin
- Handling all necessary documentation
- Communicating with all third parties
- Use of the facilities at one of our funeral homes (including visits to the chapel of rest during weekday office hours)
- Collection of the person who has died in our private ambulance (within 20 mile radius during office hours)
- Sensitive care and hygienic treatment of the person who has died
- Hearse to travel from funeral home to cemetery or crematorium via mutually agreed route
- Online area for funeral details, comments and donations
- Phone and email bereavement support provided by SAIF
This price is for attended funerals (burials or cremations), see Direct Cremation (further down the page) for prices of unattended cremations.
Not included in ‘Our fees’:
Cremation or burial fees
Coffin or other personalisation costs
Sometimes called disbursements, these are the services and products that are provided by third parties. Using ‘Our fees’ (above) as a starting point, you can then add any necessary items from the list below to get an idea of the overall cost.
Cremation fee – from £1,040* (standard adult)
The cremation fee will vary depending on the crematorium and the time, day and duration of the service.
* Most crematoriums offer a reduced fee for cremations held before 10am, direct cremations (scroll further down this page for details) and cremations for under 16s. Please ask us for details.
Doctor’s fee (cremation only) – £82
Before a cremation can take place, the crematorium is required to confirm the cause of death by law. This is not necessary if a coroner has already completed the paperwork.
Burial fee – from £3,330** (standard adult)
Burial prices tend to be more complicated than cremation prices. The cost will vary depending on the cemetery or burial ground as well as the type of grave, time, day, duration of the service, duration of the lease and whether you’re a resident in the borough. The price for a new grave will also be different to that for an existing plot. We can talk you through your options.
** Most cemeteries offer a discount for under 16s.
Personalisation options (your choices)
There are many options available to help you create a funeral that’s right for you. These include things like coffins, celebrants, orders of service, flowers, vehicles and many more that you might not have thought of. Click the ‘Personalisation’ button below to get an idea of what’s possible and in some instances, how much it will cost.